Gulgun represents large and small local governments throughout Oregon, including cities, counties, school districts and educational service districts, public utility districts, urban renewal agencies, and other special districts. She also represents state agencies and serves as underwriters' counsel. Serving as bond counsel and disclosure counsel, Gulgun has represented more than 150 governments throughout Oregon in public finance transactions matters.
Gulgun serves as lead bond counsel to a great many Oregon governments, including:
- the cities of Eugene, Gresham, Hillsboro, Independence, Lincoln City, Monmouth, Newberg, Newport, Portland, Prineville, Roseburg, Salem, Springfield, Tigard, Tualatin, and Wilsonville,
- the urban renewal agencies for many of those cities,
- the counties of Clackamas, Lane, Marion, and Washington,
- Portland Public Schools and other education districts,
- special districts including Clean Water Services, Metropolitan Wastewater Management Commission, TriMet, Tualatin Valley Water District, and
- all but one of the State’s people’s utility districts.
Gulgun has extensive experience interpreting and applying Oregon’s public finance laws, having participated in the Oregon Law Commission's project to substantially rewrite ORS Chapter 287A in 2007 and the group drafting the 2009 revisions to ORS Chapter 457.
Gulgun served on the board of directors of the Oregon Government Finance Officers Association and currently serves on the emerging issues committee for that group. She also previously served on the Tax Supervising and Conservation Commission, having been appointed by Governor John Kitzhaber in 2014. The Commission is an independent, impartial panel of five citizen volunteers established to monitor the financial affairs of local governments.
Gulgun often speaks to municipal issuers regarding public finance matters. She recently presented about property tax reform, continuing disclosure, and the bond issuance process. Gulgun has a particular interest in tax increment financing and presented to the Association of Oregon Redevelopment Agencies regarding tracking maximum indebtedness.
- Oregon Government Finance Officers Association
- Oregon Economic Development Association
- Oregon People’s Utility District Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
Commissioner, Tax Supervising and Conservation Commission (2014-2016)
- Bond Counsel
- Disclosure Counsel
- Private Placements
- Project Finance
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Underwriters' Counsel
- Cultural Institutions
- Economic Development
- Power and Renewable Energy
- Public Buildings
- Solid Waste
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Honors College
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D.
Recent News & Publications
- Hawkins Elects New Partners
Hawkins Delafield & Wood LLP is pleased to announce that Gülgün Mersereau and Daniel G. Birmingham have been elected as Partners.…
- Hawkins Delafield & Wood LLP Opens Pacific Northwest Office
Hawkins Delafield & Wood LLP, a national leader in municipal finance and public law, opened a new office in Portland, Oregon. The new …