Gülgün is a bond attorney and a partner at Hawkins. Hawkins is rated as the #1 bond counsel firm in Oregon by The Bond Buyer and the lawyers in the Portland office of Hawkins are the dominant providers of bond counsel services to governments in Oregon.
Gülgün represents large and small local governments throughout Oregon in a wide variety of public finance transactions,
- over 90 cities including Eugene, Gresham, Hillsboro, Lincoln City, Monmouth, Portland, Prineville, Salem, Springfield, Tigard, and Tualatin,
- the urban renewal agencies for many of those cities,
- the counties of Clackamas, Lane, Marion, and Washington,
- Portland Public Schools, Beaverton School District, and other education districts,
- special districts including Clean Water Services, Metropolitan Wastewater Management Commission, TriMet, Tualatin Valley Water District, and
- all but one of the State’s people’s utility districts.
Gülgün has extensive experience interpreting and applying Oregon’s public finance laws, having participated in the Oregon Law Commission’s project to substantially rewrite ORS Chapter 287A in 2007 and the group drafting the 2009 revisions to ORS Chapter 457.
Gülgün served on the board of directors of the Oregon Government Finance Officers Association and currently serves on the education committee for that group. She also previously served on the Tax Supervising and Conservation Commission, having been appointed by Governor John Kitzhaber in 2014.
Gülgün often speaks to municipal issuers regarding public finance matters. She recently presented about property tax reform, continuing disclosure requirements under the amended SEC Rule 15c2-12, and the bond issuance process. Gülgün has a particular interest in tax increment financing and presented to the Association of Oregon Redevelopment Agencies regarding tracking maximum indebtedness.
- Oregon City Attorney’s Association
- Oregon Government Finance Officers Association
- Oregon Economic Development Association
- Oregon People’s Utility District Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
Commissioner, Tax Supervising and Conservation Commission (2014-2016)
- Bond Counsel
- Disclosure Counsel
- Private Placements
- Project Finance
- Public-Private Partnerships
- Underwriters' Counsel
- Cultural Institutions and Foundations
- Economic Development
- Power and Renewable Energy
- Public Buildings
- Solid Waste
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Honors College
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D.
Recent News & Publications
- Hawkins Elects New Partners
Hawkins Delafield & Wood LLP is pleased to announce that Gülgün Uğur and Daniel G. Birmingham have been elected as Partners.…