Ken’s general finance-related experience includes extensive participation in a broad range of portfolio, project and system financings and public procurement and contracting matters, as well as in federal and state legislative, administrative rulemaking and ruling, insolvency and litigation matters. He has advised clients on issues ranging from initial program authorization and documentation to program restructuring and termination.
His transactional law experience includes primary responsibility for over $12 billion of publicly marketed financings by public student loan programs in over twenty States and for the launching or relaunching of several state qualified tuition programs; primary responsibility for public or private conduit, direct and developer-based financings for higher education or other nonprofit facilities in eight States and the District of Columbia; substantial participation in the authorization and financing of employment-related benefit reform programs in several States; and substantial participation in financings in several States for each of resources recovery, turnpike and public power purposes.
Ken received the National Association of State Treasurers 2008 Corporate Affiliate Award for his representation of NAST as an amicus party before the United States Supreme Court in the Kentucky v. Davis case, which confirmed that a State may support the market for its public debt by exempting only its public debt from its taxes upon interest, while taxing interest upon public debt of other States. He has also assisted NAST and other industry groups in responding to certain aspects of the Dodd-Frank reforms, in the development of voluntary disclosure standards and in the development of laws and regulations to implement a number of higher education funding and other public finance programs.
- Education Finance Council
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- National Association of State Treasurers Corporate Affiliate
- Association of the Bar of The City of New York:
- State Legislation Committee (1983-1986, 1997-2000)
- Municipal Affairs Committee (1988-1991)
- Task Force on the Constitutional Convention (1996-1998)
- Non-Profit Organizations Committee (2001-2004)
- Legal History Committee (2001-2006)
National Association of State Treasurers Certificate of Appreciation (2011)
National Association of State Treasurers Corporate Affiliate Award (2008)
New York Metro Super Lawyers (2014, 2020-2021)
Recent News & Publications
- Federal Reserve Regulation ZZ Implementing the Adjustable Interest Rate (LIBOR) Act
The Federal Reserve System Board of Governors (the “Federal Reserve”) wrapped up an eventful 2022 with a gift of clarity for those…
- Federal Legislation Moves SOFR Closer
This edition of the Hawkins Advisory discusses the recent federal legislation signed into law on March 15, 2022.…
- Seven Hawkins Attorneys Named to New York Metro Super Lawyers List
Hawkins attorneys were again recognized in the New York Metro Super Lawyers list for Government Finance and General Litigation.…
- Hawkins Attorneys Named to New York Metro Super Lawyers List
Hawkins attorneys comprise half of the 2020 New York Metro Super Lawyers list for Government Finance.…