Prior to joining the firm, Bill was an assistant vice president at a large national financial advisory firm, which served state and local governments. As a financial advisor, Bill assisted with the issuance of over $6 billion in temporary and permanent tax-exempt obligations.
Bill joined the firm in 2004 as an associate and became a partner in 2015.
Throughout his career, Bill has participated in a wide variety of transactions as bond counsel and underwriters’ counsel, many involving property tax-supported bond and note issues. Bill has an extensive knowledge of all aspects of the New York State Local Finance Law, its constitutional and statutory framework, and its requirements regarding capital and cash flow financings.
Bill’s broad experience with local governments and school districts enables him to provide assistance to issuers across New York State as they address challenges, such as the 2% tax cap, aging infrastructure, the increasing cost of Federal and State mandates, audits and post issuance compliance matters and increasing pension and healthcare costs. Bill has also gained considerable experience with distressed governmental situations.
Bill finds value in working closely with his clients to assist them in implementing their overall policy objectives in a cost effective and efficient manner. During every engagement, Bill strives to provide a critical perspective for his clients, never losing sight of the importance of sound advice and guidance, timely delivery of work product and attention to detail.
Bill has served as principal draftsperson for special State legislation relating to public finance matters and is active in several professional organizations. Bill is frequently called upon to address these and other organizations on matters relating to public finance.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- New York State Government Finance Officers Association (and a member of its Legal and Legislative Committee)
- County Attorney’s Association of the State of New York (CAASNY)
- New York State Council of School Superintendents
- New York State Association of School Business Officials
- New York State Bar Association, (Municipal Law Section)
- Nassau County Bar Association (Municipal Law Committee)
Super Lawyer (Rising Star), (2014)
- St. John's University, B.A., magna cum laude
- St. John's University, M.A., Public Administration, summa cum laude
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D.
- New York
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Recent News & Publications
- Hawkins Elects New Partners
Hawkins Delafield & Wood LLP is pleased to announce that William J. Jackson, Kevin Murphy and Jamison A. Sadlon have been elected as P…
- Super Lawyers Names 21 Hawkins Lawyers in 2014
This year, Hawkins has more Super Lawyers in the practice of Government Finance than any other law firm in the New York Metro area.…
- Co-author of The Graduate Assistant Labor Movement, NYU and its Aftermath: A Study of the Attitudes of Graduate Teaching and Research Assistants at Seven Universities, 21 HOFSTRA LAB. & EMP. L.J. 753