John’s practice is focused on transactional, governance, disclosure and corporate matters, with an emphasis on financing activity within the health care, housing, cultural and higher education sectors. He has been lead counsel for issuers, borrowers, underwriters, lenders and credit providers in connection with more than $25 billion of financing activity, and he has participated in transactions in nearly every state during his 30 years of practice. John led the firm’s participation in several transactions that were awarded “Deal of the Year” by The Bond Buyer.
John advises government entity clients with respect to constitutional and legal authority, contracts, pending legislation, proposed regulations, compliance matters and federal tax issues. For private sector clients, he organizes and assists with the maintenance of private business entities, including applications for tax-exempt status, merger/affiliation work, §501(c)(3) joint venture documentation, public-private partnerships, start-up activities, compliance matters and on-going general legal representation. During the course of his practice, John has interacted with all of the nationally recognized credit rating agencies and is familiar with their criteria and rationale for the assignment of ratings, including those for structured financings.
John has participated as a panelist and as a panel chairperson at conferences of the National Association of Bond Lawyers, the American Bar Association and the National Association of Local Housing Finance Authorities. He has written articles and white papers on issues relating to finance transactions, securities law and tax matters.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- American Health Lawyers Association
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- American Bar Association
- DePauw University, B.A., (Economics), Management Fellows Honors Program
- Georgetown University, Institute on Comparative Political and Economic Systems
- University of Michigan Business School, M.B.A., High Distinction, Beta Gamma Sigma
- Indiana University (Maurer) School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- District of Columbia
Recent News & Publications
- Four Hawkins Transactions Win Bond Buyer Deal of the Year Awards
Hawkins is proud to have served as counsel on four financings that won The Bond Buyer deal of the year awards for 2020. …
- Hawkins serves as Underwriters’ Counsel in 2016 Southeast Region Deal of the Year
Hawkins Delafield & Wood LLP served as underwriters’ counsel in connection with the issuance of tax exempt and taxable revenue bonds…