John is a creative problem-solver and strategist who assists clients in understanding and navigating the legal complexities of financial transactions.
John joined Hawkins as a partner in January 2006, and is a member of the firm’s Management Committee.
John advises government entity clients with respect to constitutional and legal authority, contracts, pending legislation, proposed regulations, compliance matters and federal tax issues. For private sector clients, he organizes and assists with the maintenance of private business entities, including applications for tax-exempt status, merger/affiliation work, §501(c)(3) joint venture documentation, public-private partnerships, start-up activities, compliance matters and on-going general legal representation. During the course of his finance practice, John has interacted with all of the nationally recognized credit rating agencies and is familiar with their criteria and rationale for the assignment of ratings, including those for structured financings. He also has a great deal of experience with financial disclosure and with the preparation of materials for institutional investor presentations.
John has participated as a panelist and as a panel chairperson at conferences of the National Association of Bond Lawyers, the American Bar Association and the National Association of Local Housing Finance Authorities. He has written articles and white papers on a variety of issues relating to taxable and tax-exempt public finance.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- American Health Lawyers Association
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- American Bar Association
- DePauw University, B.A., Management Fellows Honors Program
- University of Michigan Business School, M.B.A., High Distinction, Beta Gamma Sigma (National Business Honor Society)
- Indiana University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, National Moot Court Team, American Jurisprudence Award Recipient
- District of Columbia
Recent News & Publications
- Hawkins serves as Underwriters’ Counsel in 2016 Southeast Region Deal of the Year
Hawkins Delafield & Wood LLP served as underwriters’ counsel in connection with the issuance of tax exempt and taxable revenue bonds…