Hawkins assists academic medical centers with the wide variety of legal issues related to their three-pronged mission – education, research and patient care. Our team is familiar with the unique challenges of university-owned and university-affiliated teaching hospitals: delivery of complex, specialized care; disproportionate shares of under- and uninsured patients in urban markets; and market pressure on reimbursement for complicated procedures and care resulting from commercial payers' narrow networks and other developments.
Our health care team regularly works with top tier academic medical centers as bond counsel, underwriters’ counsel or system counsel, including work on medical center “spin offs,” partnerships, affiliations and other strategic initiatives.
The following is a representative list of the firm’s recurring bond counsel and underwriters’ counsel engagements in the academic medical center sector:
- Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital
- University Health System, Inc. (TN)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- National College of Medicine
- University Hospitals Health System, Inc. (OH)
- Hackensack University Medical Center
- University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey
- NYU Hospitals Center
- University of Michigan Hospital